Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Series of Serious

Around the House
I have had a rough week in my world.  I strongly dislike my day job most of the time.  I do not feel that I am well suited for it, so I look to find a place in the world until I am able to join the choir of full time writers that I love.  This past week my car died.  I really did love that car.  It was the first new car I had ever bought, and I had hoped that it would be with me for a few more years.  Alas it will be moving on to greener pastures.  I am not in love with my new car, but I am getting to know it slowly.  Also, I have health issues running around in the family.  My mom might be sick, my niece has an ear infection, and I am have been feeling so run down.  I am hoping that every gets better real soon.

My Thoughts
This last few weeks I have gone back to rereading books that I love.  Books and series that give me great inspirations.  I have been through Harry Potter, Sookie Stackhouse, and I am almost done with Twilight.  Next I will be falling back into the Anne Bishop Black Jewels Series since the new book just came out.  Yes, I will be posting a review when I am finished with it.  Enjoying each of these series has gotten me to thinking about an authors success with a series.  As an author we fall in love and dedicate our lives to a group of characters and when the Series is a success many authors fail to ever produce a piece of work that meets the expectations of the first run.  As the Harry Potter movie series is coming to a close I wonder where J.K. Rowling's next book is.  Is she a one series wonder?  Why is Stephenie Meyer holding on so tightly to the Twilight Saga when Host was a bestselling novel?  Are we only as good as the one series?  I hope not.  So I wonder if being a best selling author of multiple series means not falling so far in love with a series that we can't move on after.  Does James Patterson have the right idea?  I don't know.  I just know that I want to be an author that continues to tell great stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment