Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Marketing Magic

Around the House
Well it is definitely winter in Chicago, so I am freezing.  Like most authors I also have a "day" job, so I am forced to go out and brave the elements.  I would much rather be curled up with Jason Letts new book!  As an Aquarius, I really love the water and miss the Summer (or Spring/Fall) sun.  I really do function best when the weather is nice and I get to wander the streets of Chicago.  Currently, I am working to connect with Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Independent Authors who have self published at least one novel for my Anthology.  I am not planning to make any money off this anthology, but use it to promote each featured authors as a means of increasing each of our individual reading audiences.  I am actually very excited about this project.  Katrina Rue has already signed on for the project, and her forthcoming novel should be out this summer.  Also, I will be including a preview of my next book.  I am hoping to get some of my fellow authors involved so I can list their previews and short stories.  See my other postings for information if you are interested.

My Thoughts
Self marketing is like Russian Roulette.  You never know when you are going to hit a real money maker (get your book some great exposure).  I am in the process of collecting a list of websites/blogs that I hope to try and get my book reviewed on this spring.  This is known as setting up a virtual tour.  I am actually excited by this prospect.  Along the way I will be announcing a contest to win my book in the coming weeks so keep your eyes peeled for more information.  I am not hosting the contest, but the copy will be signed.

Currently, I have found that Facebook is a great method of promotion for little cost.  Unfortunately, I am not seeing the sales from it that I was hoping for.  After my ad campaign expires I am not sure I will be continuing with the service.  It comes down to simple word of mouth as the best method of getting your work noticed.  So, get reviewed on as many blogs as possible, see if other independent authors will review your book and give you a quote, and keeping working everyday to keep your book noticed.  Additionally, I will be doing a run of local press releases which I hope will generate some interest.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment