Thursday, May 5, 2011

Book Review: Red Glove

Around the House
The job hunt continues as does the writing.  Yes I am not just talking about my edits I am actually doing them for a change.  I am excited for a date tonight.  I hope it goes well, but if it doesn't their is always more fish in the sea right?  At least this will give me something to do.  I was actually worried that I was going to get blown off.  Well surprised never cease to amaze.  So after this review I am going to curl up in a hot shower and get ready to put the show on the road.  I don't know if I will get through another chapter of edits tonight, but I am going to try.  This round is just making small revisions and handling notes before my next read through to rework the wording and bring my engaging voice back to this almost over worked piece.

My Thoughts
The dark twisting turns of Holly Black's latest installment of the Curse Workers: Red Glove surprised even this most jaded of reader.  Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen next she shoved another piece of information at me that threw me for a loop.  Reading the Curse Workers is like reading someones private journal full of dark and sweet candy coated gossip.  This amazing book will keep you riveted until the end.  Expect a sleepless night or two as you plow through the world of Cassel Sharpe in the Curse Workers.

The Red Glove is the follow up to White Cat, where we are rethrusted back into the twisted life of Cassel Sharpe.  Loving a girl that cannot love him back, a family damaged by the power of the curse, and secrets and lies makes this world of fantasy better than anything on T.V. tonight.  Cassel is the most superbly written Anti-hero of not only the year but of the decade.  As a reader, you will want everything to turn out okay for him, but you will wonder how it can when he has to make choices that can ruin his life, his family, and his friends just to keep himself going.  Holly Black is amazing at translating the outsider feel of the teenager into a fantasy character where he is trying to be what he will never be - like everyone else - but could really succeed in living the con of his life if he could only let go of Lila.  She makes every writer jealous of her talents.

Rating: 9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment